Saturday, June 2, 2012

Sakura Top & Beach Bags

A had little bit of rayon fabric leftover from my Simplicity 7500 dress and realized that it was just the right size for a pillow case tunic. I used the dimensions for a pillow case top using the tutorial from the blog A Beautiful Mess. I added red straps using some red jersey fabric I had lying around. Unfortunately, my photographer was too busy to take a picture of me wearing it so Yukari (my dummy) will model it for me.


 
I was really pleased with how easy this top came together. I think its because I used my serger for most of the seams. No need to worry about fraying like the first time I used this fabric.


 
And because pillow case tops are very shapeless, which isn't very flattering on me. I decided that I needed some type of sash or belt for it. I remembered admiring some American Apparel scarves (see below) that can also double as a sash.


So I made one myself using the same jersey fabric that was I used for my straps. My scarf ended up a little bit skinnier than the American Apparel versions, but I still like it. Reminds me of the "spring" scarves that I used to see people wear.

I am so in love with it and how easy it was to make. I didn't use any pattern or tutorial. Just cut out two 6" x 2 yard lengths of jersey or any super stretchy material. Pin fabric pieces right sides together and serge (1/2 inch seam) all the way around leaving room at one end to turn the fabric right side out. Sew your opening closed, iron if you want to and sit back and admire your work. I might even make a tutorial with pictures if anyone is interested. I'm planning on making more scarves using some leftover knit fabric.


 

I was also in a bag making mood after I was finished with my top so I made myself a canvas beach bag using some IKEA fabric that my baby brother picked up for me two years ago. I used the tutorial from Elle Apparel. I love how the bag turned out. The bag has lots of room and the picture below has two towels and lots of swim suits. I might make some small bags to hold mine and Buni's swimsuits and maybe a bag for dirty clothes.


You can't really tell since the fabric is so busy, but I sewed my first pocket and even added a little bit something if you look closely. Do you see it?


 
How about now? A little Apple-Buni tag. Back to some more sewing. Happy weekend everyone.