Friday, May 20, 2011

Clothing Designer Alert: Calypso St. Barth for Target

As a "novice" seamstress I have shunned buying any new dresses since I thought could always make one in a fabric, style and size that I wanted. I was also under the impression that what was supposedly "in" right now didn't really match up with what I thought was "in" or "stylish" for me. You should have seen my expression when I walked into Target this past weekend and came face to face with the Calypso St. Barth for Target collection. I don't know if it was the colors, the well made dresses (dresses are lined/embroidered), the fact that I would love to dress as if I was on a beach vacation all year long or that I could fit the size medium dresses that made me love this collection. I think it was all of the above.

I have been a great follower of the Target x Designer team ups since its inception. My favorite clothing line was the Luella collaboration. Fit has always been an issue with these designer collaborations. Even at my skinniest I seemed to always fit the bodice of the dresses, but the skirts would be humongous and sometimes vice versa. Sleeved tops have been issue too where the shirt would fit perfectly, but my upper arms would always be squeezed like sausages. As of late, I haven't been too impressed with the latest designs until now.

Here are some of my favorite Calypso St. Barth for Target pieces:

I love the Maxi Dress and Khaki Dress
I ended up purchasing several dresses from the collection and haven't looked back since. So go to Target now if you want a chance on getting your hands on these dresses. I ended having to order the maxi dress online because my size was not available in any of the stores in my area.

Here are some more pictures of the Calypso dresses. I recommend wearing a belt with the tunics if you are as shapeless and short as I am and want a more tailored look. Of course this won't be any problem if you wear it to the beach.

Tunic Dress


Khaki dress


My favorite colored tunic dress


Sorry for the lack of sewing posts. My sewing has been stalled due to the unfinished sewing room/craft room remodel. Finally got my dad to agree on coming over this weekend to help me hang the cabinets so hopefully I will have a great completed sewing room remodel post and finally have some space to start sewing again.